Your Light (Isaiah 60)

Are we in a time of spiritual darkness around the world? Will there be a time of spiritual light? Let’s look at Isaiah 60.

What darkness covers the nations? What light has come?

Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn. (Isa 60:1-3 NIV)

Shall all nations look to something glorious in Israel? Will they bring gold and incense?

Lift up your eyes all around, and see: They all gather together, they come to you; Your sons shall come from afar, And your daughters shall be nursed at your side. Then you shall see and become radiant, And your heart shall swell with joy; Because the abundance of the sea shall be turned to you, The wealth of the Gentiles shall come to you. The multitude of camels shall cover your land, The dromedaries of Midian and Ephah; All those from Sheba shall come; They shall bring gold and incense, And they shall proclaim the praises of the Lord. All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered together to you, The rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you; They shall ascend with acceptance on My altar, And I will glorify the house of My glory. (Isa 60:4-7 NKJV)

Will the exiles of Israel return to their land? Will they honor the Lord?

And what do I see flying like clouds to Israel, like doves to their nests? They are ships from the ends of the earth, from lands that trust in me, led by the great ships of Tarshish. They are bringing the people of Israel home from far away, carrying their silver and gold. They will honor the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has filled you with splendor. (Isa 60:8-9 NLT)

Will foreigners serve in Jerusalem? Will all nations serve God’s kingdom?

Foreigners will build up your walls, and their kings will serve you; for in my wrath I struck you, but in my favor I have had mercy on you. Your gates also shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night, that men may bring to you the wealth of the nations, and their kings led captive. For that nation and kingdom that will not serve you shall perish; yes, those nations shall be utterly wasted. (Isa 60:10-12 WEB)

Will even Lebanon serve God’s nation? Will other former enemies honor Israel?

Lebanon’s glory will come upon you, cypress, elm, and pine, to glorify the site of my sanctuary, and I will honor my royal footstool. The children of your tormenters will come bending low to you; all who despised you will bow down at your feet. They will call you The Lord’s City, Zion, of the holy one of Israel. (Isa 60:13-14 CEB)

Was Israel once hated? Will they know that God saved and rescued them?

You were hated and deserted, rejected by everyone. But I will make you beautiful, a city to be proud of for all time to come. You will drain the wealth of kings and foreign nations. You will know that I, the mighty Lord God of Israel, have saved and rescued you. (Isa 60:15-16)

Will wealth accumulate in the kingdom and will peace and righteousness prevail?

Instead of bronze I will bring gold, and instead of iron I will bring silver; instead of wood, bronze, instead of stones, iron. I will make your overseers peace and your taskmasters righteousness. Violence shall no more be heard in your land, devastation or destruction within your borders; you shall call your walls Salvation, and your gates Praise. (Isa 60:17-18 ESV)

What will be different about the sun and moon? Will God reside there?

The sun will no longer be your light by day, and the brightness of the moon will not shine on you; but the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your splendor. Your sun will no longer set, and your moon will not fade; for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and the days of your sorrow will be over. Then all your people will be righteous; they will possess the land forever; they are the branch I planted, the work of My hands, so that I may be glorified. The least will become a thousand, the smallest a mighty nation. I am Yahweh; I will accomplish it quickly in its time. (Isa 60:19-22 HCSB)

Does this chapter refer to the new heaven and new earth?

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, because the first heaven and the first earth had disappeared, and the sea was gone. I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared like a bride adorned for her husband. (Rev 21:1-2 ISV)

What further New Testament description seems to match the passage in Isaiah?

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. (Rev 21:23-25 KJV)

How bright will that time be and what will illuminate us?

And there will no longer be any night, and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them, and they will reign forever and ever. (Rev 22:5 LSB)

Are we in a time of spiritual darkness around the world? Will there be a time of spiritual light? You decide!