Must those who faithfully preach God’s word be prepared for attacks and false accusations even from religious leaders? Let’s look at Jeremiah 20.
What did the priest do to Jeremiah? What did Jeremiah prophesy over him?
When the priest Pashhur, Immer’s son, who was the officer in charge of the Lord’s Temple heard Jeremiah prophesying these words, Pashhur struck Jeremiah the prophet and put him in the stocks that were at the upper Benjamin Gate of the Temple. The next day, Pashhur released Jeremiah from the stocks, and Jeremiah told him, “The Lord has not named you Pashhur [prosperity all around], but rather Magor-missabib [terror all around]. (Jer 20:1-3 ISV)
Was Pashhur a lying priest, a false prophet, and did God plan a bad end for him?
For thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends: and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold it: and I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry them captive into Babylon, and shall slay them with the sword. Moreover I will deliver all the strength of this city, and all the labours thereof, and all the precious things thereof, and all the treasures of the kings of Judah will I give into the hand of their enemies, which shall spoil them, and take them, and carry them to Babylon. And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell in thine house shall go into captivity: and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and shalt be buried there, thou, and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prophesied lies. (Jer 20:4-6 KJV)
Like many who actually preach God’s word rather than popular lies, did Jeremiah reach a state of despair?
O Yahweh, You have enticed me, and I was enticed; You were stronger than I, and You prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; Everyone mocks me. For each time I speak, I cry aloud; I call out violence and devastation Because for me the word of Yahweh has resulted In reproach and derision all day long. But if I say, “I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name,” Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot prevail. (Jer 20:7-9 LSB)
Do people naturally want to denounce a preacher who is faithful to the truth, rather than soft empty-headed lies?
For I have heard the whispering of many, “Terror on every side! Denounce him; let’s denounce him!” All my trusted friends, Watching for my fall, say: “Perhaps he will be persuaded, so that we may prevail against him And take our revenge on him.” But the Lord is with me like a powerful champion; Therefore my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will be put to great shame because they have failed, An everlasting disgrace that will not be forgotten. Yet, Lord of armies, who tests the righteous, Who sees the mind and the heart; Let me see Your vengeance on them, For to You I have disclosed my cause. Sing to the Lord, praise the Lord! For He has saved the soul of the needy one From the hand of evildoers. (Jer 20:10-13 NASB)
Does a preacher, who is faithful to the truth, ever get discouraged enough to curse the day he was born?
Cursed be the day I was born! May the day my mother bore me not be blessed! Cursed be the man who brought my father the news, who made him very glad, saying, “A child is born to you—a son!” May that man be like the towns the Lord overthrew without pity. May he hear wailing in the morning, a battle cry at noon. For he did not kill me in the womb, with my mother as my grave, her womb enlarged forever. Why did I ever come out of the womb to see trouble and sorrow and to end my days in shame? (Jer 20:14-18 NIV)
Did religious leaders also attack the apostles as they preached the Gospel?
Then the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with indignation, and laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison. (Acts 5:17-18 NKJV)
Must those who faithfully preach God’s word be prepared for attacks and false accusations even from religious leaders? You decide!