Does the analogy of the potter and the clay mean that we have no free will? Are really two decisions involved, ours and God’s? Let’s look at Jeremiah 18.
Is it the clay’s choice or the potter’s as to what kind of vessel the potter makes?
The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will let you hear my words.” So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do. (Jer 18:1-4 ESV)
Does it sound like a lack of free will that a nation can choose evil or turn from its evil?
The word of the Lord came to me: “House of Israel, can I not treat you as this potter treats his clay?”—this is the Lord’s declaration. “Just like clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, house of Israel. At one moment I might announce concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will uproot, tear down, and destroy it. However, if that nation I have made an announcement about turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the disaster I had planned to do to it. At another time I announce that I will build and plant a nation or a kingdom. However, if it does what is evil in My sight by not listening to My voice, I will relent concerning the good I had said I would do to it. (Jer 18:5-10 HCSB)
Does it sound like a lack of free will that Judah pursued their own evil desires?
“Now say to the people of Judah and to the residents of Jerusalem, ‘This is what the Lord says: “Look, I’m designing a disaster just for you, and I’m making plans against you. Each one of you must repent from his evil way. Make your ways and deeds right.”’ But they’ll say, ‘It’s useless! We will follow our plans and each of us will pursue his own evil desires.’ (Jer 18:11-12 ISV)
Do many nations forget their real origin and bow down to pure fiction?
“Therefore, this is what the Lord says: ‘Ask the nations. Who has ever heard of anything like this? You have done a most horrible thing, virgin Israel. Does the snow of Lebanon ever vanish from its rocky slopes? Or does the cold water from a foreign land ever cease to flow? Yet my people have forgotten me, and they burn incense to worthless idols that make them stumble in their journey on the ancient paths. They walk on trails, on a way that is not built up. (Jer 18:13-15 ISV)
Would God turn His back on the nation on their day of calamity?
To make their land desolate, and a perpetual hissing; every one that passeth thereby shall be astonished, and wag his head. I will scatter them as with an east wind before the enemy; I will shew them the back, and not the face, in the day of their calamity. (Jer 18:16-17 KJV)
Did the people plot against God’s prophet? Do churches ever plot against a faithful pastor?
Then they said, “Come and let us devise plans against Jeremiah. Surely the law is not going to perish from the priest, nor counsel to the wise man, nor the divine word to the prophet! Come on and let us strike at him with our tongue, and let us give no heed to any of his words.” (Jer 18:18 LSB)
Had Jeremiah once defended the nation? Did he now realize that they deserved the punishment God had planned for them?
Give Your attention to me, Lord, And listen to what my opponents are saying! Should good be repaid with evil? For they have dug a pit for me. Remember how I stood before You To speak good in their behalf, So as to turn Your wrath away from them. Therefore, give their children over to famine And turn them over to the power of the sword; And let their wives become childless and widowed. Let their men also be slaughtered to death, Their young men struck and killed by the sword in battle. (Jer 18:19-21 NASB)
Did God allow the persecution that Jeremiah experienced to help him see why God was about to punish the nation?
Let a cry be heard from their houses when you suddenly bring invaders against them, for they have dug a pit to capture me and have hidden snares for my feet. But you, Lord, know all their plots to kill me. Do not forgive their crimes or blot out their sins from your sight. Let them be overthrown before you; deal with them in the time of your anger. (Jer 18:22-23 NIV)
Does the potter decide if a lump of clay is suited for a fine vase or a rough pot?
But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? (Rom 9:20-21 NKJV)
Does the analogy of the potter and the clay mean that we have no free will? Are really two decisions involved, ours and God’s? You decide!