Despite any suffering in this life, do we trust that God has prepared incredible joy awaiting us? Let’s look at Isaiah 54.
Who is the childless woman that will rejoice, because she now has more children than a married woman?
“Sing, O childless woman, you who have never given birth! Break into loud and joyful song, O Jerusalem, you who have never been in labor. For the desolate woman now has more children than the woman who lives with her husband,” says the Lord. “Enlarge your house; build an addition. Spread out your home, and spare no expense! For you will soon be bursting at the seams. Your descendants will occupy other nations and resettle the ruined cities.” (Isa 54:1-3 NLT)
Will the childless woman forget the shame of her youth because God has decided to be her husband?
“Don’t be afraid, for you will not be ashamed. Don’t be confounded, for you will not be disappointed. For you will forget the shame of your youth. You will remember the reproach of your widowhood no more. For your Maker is your husband; Yahweh of Armies is his name. The Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer. He will be called the God of the whole earth. For Yahweh has called you as a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, even a wife of youth, when she is cast off,” says your God. (Isa 54:4-6 WEB)
Though God had punished Israel in the past for her many sins, would He love them forever?
For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with great mercy I will bring you back. In an outburst of rage, I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting love I have consoled you, says your redeemer, the Lord. (Isa 54:7-8 CEB)
What had God promised Noah? What does God promise His people?
I once promised Noah that I would never again destroy the earth by a flood. Now I have promised that I will never again get angry and punish you. Every mountain and hill may disappear. But I will always be kind and merciful to you; I won't break my agreement to give your nation peace. (Isa 54:9-10 CEV)
When we are suffering is it easy to believe that God doesn’t care? Do we trust that in His time we will be vindicated by God?
“O afflicted one, storm-tossed and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of agate, your gates of carbuncles [garnet], and all your wall of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.
In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you.
Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy; no weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.” (Isa 54:11-17 ESV)
Explaining how we are not under the law of Moses, did Paul quote this passage?
For it is written: Rejoice, childless woman, who does not give birth. Burst into song and shout, you who are not in labor, for the children of the desolate are many, more numerous than those of the woman who has a husband. Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. (Gal 4:27-28 HCSB)
Despite any suffering in this life, do we trust that God has prepared incredible joy awaiting us? You decide!