Humility (Isaiah 57)

Is a righteous person sinlessly perfect, or one who is humble and mourns and repents of their sins, with faith in the sacrifice of Christ? Let’s look at Isaiah 57.

When someone seems to die prematurely, do we consider these words?

The righteous person perishes, and no one takes it to heart; And devout people are taken away, while no one understands. For the righteous person is taken away from evil, He enters into peace; They rest in their beds, Each one who walked in his upright way. (Isa 57:1-2 NASB)

What does God think of the sexually immoral who mock God, liars who murder their children as offerings to idols?

But you—come here, you children of a sorceress, you offspring of adulterers and prostitutes! Who are you mocking? At whom do you sneer and stick out your tongue? Are you not a brood of rebels, the offspring of liars? You burn with lust among the oaks and under every spreading tree; you sacrifice your children in the ravines and under the overhanging crags. The idols among the smooth stones of the ravines are your portion; indeed, they are your lot. Yes, to them you have poured out drink offerings and offered grain offerings. In view of all this, should I relent? (Isa 57:3-6 NIV)

Did Israel worship foreign gods with debased practices that only wearied them?

On a lofty and high mountain You have set your bed; Even there you went up To offer sacrifice. Also behind the doors and their posts You have set up your remembrance; For you have uncovered yourself to those other than Me, And have gone up to them; You have enlarged your bed And made a covenant with them; You have loved their bed, Where you saw their nudity. You went to the king with ointment, And increased your perfumes; You sent your messengers far off, And even descended to Sheol. You are wearied in the length of your way; Yet you did not say, ‘There is no hope.’ You have found the life of your hand; Therefore you were not grieved. (Isa 57:7-10 NKJV)

What can a fake idol do in comparison to what the one true God can do?

Are you afraid of these idols? Do they terrify you? Is that why you have lied to me and forgotten me and my words? Is it because of my long silence that you no longer fear me? Now I will expose your so-called good deeds. None of them will help you. Let’s see if your idols can save you when you cry to them for help. Why, a puff of wind can knock them down! If you just breathe on them, they fall over! But whoever trusts in me will inherit the land and possess my holy mountain. (Isa 57:11-13 NLT)

Will God remove whatever stands in the way between Him and His people? Who will God choose to dwell with?

He will say, “Build up, build up, prepare the way! Remove the stumbling-block out of the way of my people.” For the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy, says: “I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also who is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite. For I will not contend forever, neither will I always be angry; for the spirit would faint before me, and the souls whom I have made. I was angry because of the iniquity of his covetousness and struck him. I hid myself and was angry; and he went on backsliding in the way of his heart. (Isa 57:14-17 WEB)

Will God heal those who mourn their ways, while the unrepentant wicked lack peace?

I have seen their ways, but I will heal them. I will guide them, and reward them with comfort. And for those who mourn, I will create reason for praise: utter prosperity to those far and near, and I will heal them, says the Lord. But the wicked are like the churning sea that can’t keep still. They churn up from their waters muck and mud. There is no peace, says my God, for the wicked. (Isa 57:18-21 CEB)

Does God choose to dwell with those who have a contrite and humble spirit?

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Mat 5:3 ESV)

What ultimately counts a person as righteous before God, our sinless perfection or faith in Jesus’ blood?

For this is My blood that establishes the covenant; it is shed for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Mat 26:28 HCSB)

Is a righteous person sinlessly perfect, or one who is humble and mourns and repents of their sins, with faith in the sacrifice of Christ? You decide!