Were Jeremiah and Paul both set apart by God from their mother’s womb for a mission whereby kings, officials, priests, and people would fight against them? Let’s look at Jeremiah 1.
Was Jeremiah a priest in part of Judah, commissioned as a prophet during the last days of Judah, the southern tribes of Israel?
The words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, of the priests that were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin: To whom the word of the Lord came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign. It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the end of the eleventh year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the carrying away of Jerusalem captive in the fifth month. (Jer 1:1-3 KJV)
What did the Lord, Yahweh in this translation, say as He commissioned Jeremiah a prophet?
Now the word of Yahweh came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the innermost parts I knew you, And before you came out from the womb I set you apart; I have given you as a prophet to the nations.” Then I said, “Alas, Lord Yahweh! Behold, I do not know how to speak Because I am a youth.” But Yahweh said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ Because everywhere I send you, you shall go, And all that I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, For I am with you to deliver you,” declares Yahweh. (Jer 1:4-8 LSB)
Though he was worried about being too young, what did God do to Jeremiah to encourage him in his appointment?
Then the Lord stretched out His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me, “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth. See, I have appointed you this day over the nations and over the kingdoms, To root out and to tear down, To destroy and to overthrow, To build and to plant.” (Jer 1:9-10 NASB)
Did Jeremiah see a common tree in that area? Similar to the Hebrew word watchful, does the watchful almond tree symbolize God watching over us?
The word of the Lord came to me: “What do you see, Jeremiah?” “I see the branch of an almond tree,” I replied. The Lord said to me, “You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.” (Jer 1:11-12 NIV)
In this second vision did God reveal Judah’s threat from Babylon? Have all nations worshipped the works of their own hands instead of God?
And the word of the Lord came to me the second time, saying, “What do you see?” And I said, “I see a boiling pot, and it is facing away from the north.” Then the Lord said to me: “Out of the north calamity shall break forth On all the inhabitants of the land. For behold, I am calling All the families of the kingdoms of the north,” says the Lord; “They shall come and each one set his throne At the entrance of the gates of Jerusalem, Against all its walls all around, And against all the cities of Judah. I will utter My judgments Against them concerning all their wickedness, Because they have forsaken Me, Burned incense to other gods, And worshiped the works of their own hands. (Jer 1:13-16 NKJV)
Was Jeremiah’s job to tell people everything from God? Do we modern preachers leave the difficult parts of God’s word out, afraid of the inevitable fight?
“Get up and prepare for action. Go out and tell them everything I tell you to say. Do not be afraid of them, or I will make you look foolish in front of them. For see, today I have made you strong like a fortified city that cannot be captured, like an iron pillar or a bronze wall. You will stand against the whole land—the kings, officials, priests, and people of Judah. They will fight you, but they will fail. For I am with you, and I will take care of you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” (Jer 1:17-19 NLT)
Was Paul also set apart from his mother’s womb and called by God’s grace?
But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through his grace, to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I didn’t immediately confer with flesh and blood, (Gal 1:15-16 WEB)
Were Jeremiah and Paul both set apart by God from their mother’s womb for a mission whereby kings, officials, priests, and people would fight against them? You decide!