Did God tell Ezekiel that Israel had spiritual blindness? Do we? Let’s look at Ezekiel 12.
How did God describe the house of Israel to Ezekiel?
Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying: “Son of man, you dwell in the midst of a rebellious house, which has eyes to see but does not see, and ears to hear but does not hear; for they are a rebellious house. (Ezek 12:1-2 NKJV)
How did God ask Ezekiel to visualize His plans for Israel? Is visualization a good sermon tool?
“So now, son of man, pretend you are being sent into exile. Pack the few items an exile could carry, and leave your home to go somewhere else. Do this right in front of the people so they can see you. For perhaps they will pay attention to this, even though they are such rebels. Bring your baggage outside during the day so they can watch you. Then in the evening, as they are watching, leave your house as captives do when they begin a long march to distant lands.
Dig a hole through the wall while they are watching and go out through it. As they watch, lift your pack to your shoulders and walk away into the night. Cover your face so you cannot see the land you are leaving. For I have made you a sign for the people of Israel.” (Ezek 12:3-6 NLT)
How did Ezekiel’s prophetic demonstration play out day by day?
I did so as I was commanded. I brought out my baggage by day, as baggage for moving, and in the evening I dug through the wall with my hand. I brought it out in the dark, and bore it on my shoulder in their sight. (Ezek 12:7 WEB)
What did God want Ezekiel to say when people asked him what he was doing?
In the morning, the Lord’s word came to me: Human one [Son of man], has the house of Israel, that household of rebels, asked you, “What are you doing?” Say to them, The Lord God proclaims: This concerns the prince in Jerusalem, along with the entire house of Israel in it. Say: I’m your sign. Just as I have done, so it will be done to them. They will go into captivity in exile. (Ezek 12:8-11 CEB)
Would king Zedekiah be blinded by Nebuchadnezzar and so not see Babylon?
The leader of Jerusalem will lift his own bag to his shoulders at sunset and leave through a hole that the others have dug in the wall of his house. He will cover his face, so he can't see the land he is leaving. The Lord will spread out a net and trap him as he leaves Jerusalem. He will then be led away to the city of Babylon, but will never see that place, even though he will die there. His own officials and troops will scatter in every direction, and the Lord will track them down and put them to death. (Ezek 12:12-14 CEV)
Would the people being scattered actually help other nations to know God?
And they shall know that I am the Lord, when I disperse them among the nations and scatter them among the countries. But I will let a few of them escape from the sword, from famine and pestilence, that they may declare all their abominations among the nations where they go, and may know that I am the Lord.” (Ezek 12:15-16 ESV)
What circumstances in Jerusalem would help the people to know that God is God?
The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, eat your bread with trembling and drink your water with shaking and anxiety. Then say to the people of the land: This is what the Lord God says about the residents of Jerusalem in the land of Israel: They will eat their bread with anxiety and drink their water in dread, for their land will be stripped of everything in it because of the violence of all who live there. The inhabited cities will be destroyed, and the land will become a desolation. Then you will know that I am Yahweh.” (Ezek 12:17-20 HCSB)
Because the people believed that God’s punishment was delayed, what would happen?
Later, this message came to me from the Lord: “Son of Man, what’s this proverb you have concerning Israel’s land that says, ‘The days pass slowly and every vision ends in nothing.’? Therefore you are to tell them, ‘This is what the Lord God says, “I’m about to put an end to use of this proverb in Israel. It will never be used again as a proverb in Israel. Instead, tell them that the days are drawing near when every vision will be fulfilled. There will no longer be worthless visions and flattering divinations in the midst of Israel’s house. Because I am the Lord, I’ll speak and the message that I communicate will be accomplished without delay. While you continue to be a rebellious house, I’ll speak the message and then fulfill it,” declares the Lord God.’” (Ezek 12:21-25 ISV)
How imminent were God’s prophecies for a nation that ignored them?
Again the word of the Lord came to me, saying. Son of man, behold, they of the house of Israel say, The vision that he seeth is for many days to come, and he prophesieth of the times that are far off. Therefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; There shall none of my words be prolonged any more, but the word which I have spoken shall be done, saith the Lord God. (Ezek 12:26-28 KJV)
Did Jesus also rebuke His own disciples for spiritual blindness quoting this chapter?
Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember, when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces you picked up?” They said to Him, “Twelve.” (Mark 8:18-19 LSB)
Did God tell Ezekiel that Israel had spiritual blindness? Do we? You decide!