What separates statues, like those of cherubs, from idolatry? Do we get as close as we can to idolatry or avoid even the appearance of it? Let’s look at Ezekiel 6.
What abomination was found on the high places throughout Israel?
Yahweh’s word came to me, saying, “Son of man, set your face toward the mountains of Israel, and prophesy to them, and say, ‘You mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord Yahweh! The Lord Yahweh says to the mountains and to the hills, to the watercourses and to the valleys: “Behold, I, even I, will bring a sword on you, and I will destroy your high places. Your altars will become desolate, and your incense altars will be broken. I will cast down your slain men before your idols. (Ezek 6:1-4 WEB)
How angry was God about the rampant idolatry throughout the land?
I’ll throw the Israelites’ corpses in front of their idols, and I’ll scatter your bones all around your altars. Wherever you live, cities will be in ruins, shrines made desolate, turned into utter ruin. Your altars will be punished and then broken down. Your idols will be demolished, your incense altars shattered, and all your works wiped out. The slain will fall among you, and you will know that I am the Lord. (Ezek 6:5-7 CEB)
Should we take God’s warnings in the Bible seriously? Have we disgraced God?
I will let some of the people live through this punishment, but I will scatter them among the nations, where they will be prisoners. And when they think of me, they will realize that they disgraced me by rebelling and by worshiping idols. They will hate themselves for the evil things they did, and they will know that I am the Lord and that my warnings must be taken seriously. (Ezek 6:8-10 CEV)
What three methods of punishment would the people suffer for their sins?
Thus says the Lord God: “Clap your hands and stamp your foot and say, Alas, because of all the evil abominations of the house of Israel, for they shall fall by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence. He who is far off shall die of pestilence, and he who is near shall fall by the sword, and he who is left and is preserved shall die of famine. Thus I will spend my fury upon them. (Ezek 6:11-12 ESV)
What event will cause people to know that God does not approve of idolatry?
You will all know that I am Yahweh when their slain lie among their idols around their altars, on every high hill, on all the mountaintops, and under every green tree and every leafy oak—the places where they offered pleasing aromas to all their idols. I will stretch out My hand against them, and wherever they live I will make the land a desolate waste, from the wilderness to Diblah. Then they will know that I am Yahweh.” (Ezek 6:13-14 HCSB)
Should Christians make statues to bow down to and worship in our church buildings?
What agreement can a temple of God make with idols? For we are the temple of the living God, just as God said: “I will live and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people.” (2 Cor 6:16 ISV)
What separates statues, like those of cherubs, from idolatry? Do we get as close as we can to idolatry or avoid even the appearance of it? You decide!