What caused Israel’s national collapse? Are we in similar circumstances as a nation? Let’s look at Ezekiel 7.
What did God plan to punish Israel’s abominations like idolatry, sexual immorality and child sacrifice?
Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is come upon the four corners of the land. Now is the end come upon thee, and I will send mine anger upon thee, and will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense upon thee all thine abominations. And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity: but I will recompense thy ways upon thee, and thine abominations shall be in the midst of thee: and ye shall know that I am the Lord. (Ezek 7:1-4 KJV)
Did God say that the end has come, that doom was coming because of Israel's sins?
Thus says Lord Yahweh, ‘A calamitous evil, a unique calamitous evil, behold, it is coming! An end has come; the end has come! It has awakened against you; behold, it is coming! Your doom has come to you, O inhabitant of the land. The time has come; the day is near—confusion rather than joyful shouting on the mountains. (Ezek 7:5-7 LSB)
Would God show any pity? Would Israel know that it is God punishing them?
Now I will shortly pour out My wrath on you and expend My anger against you; I will judge you according to your ways and bring on you all your abominations. My eye will have no pity nor will I spare you. I will repay you according to your ways, while your abominations are in your midst; then you will know that I, the Lord, am striking. (Ezek 7:8-9 NASB)
Because of their sins, would any one of them preserve their wealth?
See, the day! See, it comes! Doom has burst forth, the rod has budded, arrogance has blossomed! Violence has arisen, a rod to punish the wicked. None of the people will be left, none of that crowd—none of their wealth, nothing of value.
The time has come! The day has arrived! Let not the buyer rejoice nor the seller grieve, for my wrath is on the whole crowd. The seller will not recover the property that was sold—as long as both buyer and seller live. For the vision concerning the whole crowd will not be reversed. Because of their sins, not one of them will preserve their life. (Ezek 7:10-13 NIV)
Even well-prepared for self-defense, would Israel suffer because of disease, famine and losses on the battlefield?
They have blown the trumpet and made everyone ready, But no one goes to battle; For My wrath is on all their multitude. The sword is outside, And the pestilence and famine within. Whoever is in the field Will die by the sword; And whoever is in the city, Famine and pestilence will devour him. (Ezek 7:14-15 NKJV)
What horror and shame would happen to those who manage to escape?
The survivors who escape to the mountains will moan like doves, weeping for their sins. Their hands will hang limp, their knees will be weak as water. They will dress themselves in burlap; horror and shame will cover them. They will shave their heads in sorrow and remorse. (Ezek 7:16-18 NLT)
Would the nation’s wealth be of any help? Would even the holy of holies be violated?
They will cast their silver in the streets, and their gold will be as an unclean thing. Their silver and their gold won’t be able to deliver them in the day of Yahweh’s wrath. They won’t satisfy their souls or fill their bellies; because it has been the stumbling block of their iniquity. As for the beauty of his ornament, he set it in majesty; but they made the images of their abominations and their detestable things therein. Therefore I have made it to them as an unclean thing.
I will give it into the hands of the strangers for a prey, and to the wicked of the earth for a plunder; and they will profane it. I will also turn my face from them, and they will profane my secret place. Robbers will enter into it, and profane it. (Ezek 7:19-22 WEB)
Would God allow the cruelest of nations to attack and break Israel’s pride? What about our national pride?
Make a chain! The earth is full of perverted justice, the city full of violence. I’ll bring up the cruelest nations, and they will seize their houses. I’ll break their proud strength, and their sanctuaries will be defiled. (Ezek 7:23-24 CEB)
Are we terrified, looking for peace and not finding it, losing hope in one political tragedy after another? Are we guilty of national sins?
You will be terrified and will desperately look for peace—but there will be no peace. One tragedy will follow another, and you'll hear only bad news. People will beg prophets to give them a message from me. Priests will stop teaching my Law, and wise leaders won't be able to give advice. Even your king and his officials will lose hope and cry in despair. Your hands will tremble with fear. I will punish you for your sins and treat you the same way you have treated others. Then you will know that I am the Lord. (Ezek 7:25-27 CEV)
Is one driver of our economy covetousness, the exact opposite of contentment, and also idolatry?
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Col 3:5 ESV)
What caused Israel’s national collapse? Are we in similar circumstances as a nation? You decide!