What Unites Christians (271-280)

We're getting closer to the end. Let's look at another ten things that all Christians generally believe.

271. Convicting the World

All Christians believe that another assignment that the Holy Spirit performs here on earth is to convict or persuade the world of several things. “When he has come, he will convict the world about sin, about righteousness, and about judgment; about sin, because they don't believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to my Father, and you won't see me any more; about judgment, because the prince of this world has been judged.” (John 16:8-11)

272. Guide into Truth

All Christians believe that yet another assignment that the Holy Spirit performs here on earth is to guide them and us into all truth, and that He will glorify Jesus. “However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming. He will glorify me, for he will take from what is mine, and will declare it to you.” (John 16:13-14)

273. Overcame the World

All Christians believe that Jesus overcame the world. “I have told you these things, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have oppression; but cheer up! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

274. Your Word is Truth

All Christians believe that we are set apart from the world by the truth. “Sanctify them in your truth. Your word is truth.” (John 17:17)

275. Christian Unity

All Christians believe in Jesus’ prayer for Christian unity. “Not for these only do I pray, but for those also who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.” (John 17:20-21)

276. Not My Will

All Christians believe in praying like Jesus, nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42 cf. Matthew 26:39; Mark 14:35-36)

277. Watch and Pray

All Christians believe Jesus’ instructions to watch and pray. “Watch and pray, that you don't enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41 cf. Mark 14:38; Luke 22:46)

278. Repetition

All Christians believe that repetition in prayer is not wrong, only vain repetition. “In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking.” (Matthew 6:7) Jesus said the same prayer three times, but He was not babbling empty, thoughtless phrases. “He left them again, went away, and prayed a third time, saying the same words.” (Matthew 26:44 cf. Mark 14:39)

279. Malchus

All Christians believe that Jesus healed Malchus’ ear after Peter struck it with a sword. (Matthew 26:51-52; Mark 14:47; Luke 22:50-51; John 18:10-11)

280. All Left Him

All Christians believe that all the disciples left Jesus and fled when He was seized. “Then all the disciples left him, and fled.” (Matthew 26:56 cf. Mark 14:50)