What Unites Christians (251-260)

All Christians are united in believing these ten things as well.

251. Faithful and Wise Servant

All Christians believe that we are called to be like a faithful and wise servant, “whom his lord has set over his household, to give them their food in due season” (Matthew 24:45-51 cf. Luke 12:42-46).

252. Wise Virgins

All Christians agree that we ought to be like the five wise virgins rather than the five foolish, and that we should, “Watch therefore, for you don't know the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.” (Matthew 25:1-13)

253. Sheep and Goats

All Christians believe that Jesus taught the importance of caring for the needy. At the end of time all people will be divided into two groups pictured by sheep and goats (Matthew 25:31-46). The sheep will be told, “Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.” (vs 34-36) When did they do this for Jesus? “The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' “ (vs 40)

254. Costly Ointment

All Christians believe that at times expensive things can be given to bless Jesus rather than sold to feed the poor. An example is the expensive spikenard oil used by Mary to anoint Jesus' feet. (Matthew 26:6-13; Mark 14:3-9; John 12:2-8) “But Jesus said, "Leave her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for me. For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you want to, you can do them good; but you will not always have me. She has done what she could. She has anointed my body beforehand for the burying. Most certainly I tell you, wherever this Good News may be preached throughout the whole world, that which this woman has done will also be spoken of for a memorial of her.” (Mark 14:6-9)

255. Judas Iscariot

All Christians understand that there will always be those among us who act like Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver (Matthew 26:14-16, 21-24, 47-48; Mark 14:10-11, 18-21, 43-45; Luke 22:3-6, 21-22, 47-48; John 13:2, 18, 23-27; 18:2-5).

256. Passover

All Christians believe that Jesus’ last supper took place at Passover time, when He introduced new rituals based upon ancient customs: foot washing, bread, wine and singing a hymn (Matthew 26:17-30; Mark 14:12-26; Luke 22:7-39).

257. Foot Washing

All Christians believe that the purpose of foot washing is to signify our service to others. (John 13:3-17) “He said to them, ‘The kings of the nations lord it over them, and those who have authority over them are called 'benefactors.' But not so with you. But one who is the greater among you, let him become as the younger, and one who is governing, as one who serves.’ ” (Luke 22:25-26)

258. Love One Another

All Christians believe that love is an indicator of where Jesus’ true disciples are. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35) “This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I have loved you.” (John 15:12) “I command these things to you, that you may love one another.” (John 15:17)

259. A Rooster Crows

All Christians believe that Peter denied Christ three times before the rooster crowed (Matthew 26:34, 69-75; Mark 14:30, 66-72; Luke 22:34, 56-62; John 13:38; 18:25-27)

260. Where I Am

All Christians believe that where Jesus is, He will receive us there. “Don't let your heart be troubled. Believe in God. Believe also in me. In my Father's house are many homes. If it weren't so, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also. Where I go, you know, and you know the way.” (John 14:1-4)