What Unites Christians (261-270)

Let's look at ten more things that unite all Christians.

261. Jesus is the Way

All Christians believe that Jesus is the way. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.” (John 14:6)

262. Greater Works

All Christians believe that followers of Jesus will do greater works than He did during His earthly ministry. “Most certainly I tell you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and he will do greater works than these, because I am going to my Father.” (John 14:12)

263. The Paraclete

All Christians believe that Jesus summarized a major role of the Holy Spirit in one word, when He said, “I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor [Advocate, Helper, Comforter, Paraclete], that he may be with you forever, — the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.” (John 14:16-17)

264. In Christ

All Christians believe that not only the Holy Spirit will come, but Christ Himself, and we will be in Christ. “I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you… In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.” (John 14:18, 20)

265. Jesus’ Commandments

All Christians believe that Jesus gave commandments and that His teachings are central to our common faith. “One who has my commandments, and keeps them, that person is one who loves me. One who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will reveal myself to him… If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.” (John 14:21, 23)

266. Reminder

All Christians believe that the Holy Spirit reminded the Apostles what to record for us in the four Gospels, and will also remind us of what Jesus taught. “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.” (John 14:26) “When the Counselor has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will testify about me.” (John 15:26)

267. The True Vine

All Christians believe that Jesus is the true vine, and that attachment to Him is our most important connection: “remain in me” (John 15:4) and thus, we are also in Christian unity in Him.

268. Much Fruit

All Christians agree that, if we remain in Jesus, the true vine, we bear much spiritual fruit. “He who remains in me, and I in him, the same bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5-8)

269. Greater Love

All Christians believe this maxim: “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:32) And so we honor those who lay down their lives in service to their community and nation, and Jesus above all, who lay down His life in service to the whole world

270. Jesus’ Friends

All Christians believe that we are Jesus’ friends if we obey Him. “You are my friends, if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have called you friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have made known to you.” (John 15:14-15)