Is a kind of wood mostly used as kindling, a picture of unfaithfulness? Is abiding in Jesus, the true vine, the best choice? Let’s begin in Ezekiel 15.
Does the wood of the vine have any purpose in heavy carpentry, or is it quick to mold and rot?
And the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, how does the wood of the vine surpass any wood, the vine branch that is among the trees of the forest? Is wood taken from it to make anything? Do people take a peg from it to hang any vessel on it? (Ezek 15:1-3 ESV)
Other than a temporary rope, wreaths or small trinkets, is the wood of a vine really useful for anything?
In fact, it is put into the fire as fuel. The fire devours both of its ends, and the middle is charred. Can it be useful for anything? Even when it was whole it could not be made into a useful object. How much less can it ever be made into anything useful when the fire has devoured it and it is charred! (Ezek 15:4-5 HCSB)
Is unfaithful Jerusalem going to be put to a similar use as vine wood, for kindling?
Therefore this is what the Lord God says: “Just as the wood from a grape vine is removed from the forest and used for kindling fires, I’m giving the inhabitants of Jerusalem over to punishment. They may have escaped one fire, but the coming fire will burn them up completely, and they will know that I am the Lord, when I set myself in opposition to them and dedicate the land to desolation because of their unfaithful unbelief,” declares the Lord God. (Ezek 15:6-8 ISV)
How does abiding in the true vine give the exact opposite effect?
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (John 15:1-6 KJV)
Is a kind of wood mostly used as kindling, a picture of unfaithfulness? Is abiding in Jesus, the true vine, the best choice? You decide!