Humility (Jeremiah 45)

Does God honor arrogance or humility? What is more important, great things or survival? Let’s look at Jeremiah 45.

What might God say to someone in depression because of troubles in this world?

This is the word that Jeremiah the prophet spoke to Baruch son of Neriah when he wrote these words on a scroll at Jeremiah’s dictation in the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah, king of Judah: “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to you, Baruch: ‘You have said, “Woe is me, because the Lord has added misery to my pain! I am worn out with groaning and have found no rest.”’ (Jer 45:1-3 HCSB)

Should we seek great things for ourselves? Should we be satisfied that God would spare us in the midst of life’s woes?

Say this to him: ‘This is what the Lord says: “Look! What I’ve built I’m about to tear down, and what I’ve planted I’m about to pull up—and this will involve the entire land.” Are you seeking great things for yourself? Don’t seek them. Indeed, I’m about to bring disaster on all flesh,’ declares the Lord, ‘but your life will be spared wherever you go.’” (Jer 45:4-5 ISV)

Does God approve of disdain and looking down upon the poor or is humility important?

Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. (Rom 12:16 KJV)

What did Paul write to the church in Philippi about humility?

doing nothing from selfish ambition or vain glory, but with humility of mind regarding one another as more important than yourselves, not merely looking out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. (Php 2:3–4 LSB)

Does God honor arrogance or humility? What is more important, great things or survival? You decide!