Against Nations (Jeremiah 49)

What judgments did Jeremiah predict for surrounding nations, and what would God say about our modern nations? Let’s look at Jeremiah 49.
Against Ammon

Had Ammon seized territory from Gad, east of the Jordan River, while Israel was in exile?

Of the children of Ammon. Yahweh says: “Has Israel no sons? Has he no heir? Why then does Malcam [an idol, a king, Molech] possess Gad, and his people dwell in its cities? (Jer 49:1 WEB)

What is the modern name of the city of Rabbah, the capital of Ammon?

Therefore, the time is coming, declares the Lord, when I will sound the battle alarm against Rabbah [Amman], the capital city of the Ammonites. The city will be demolished, and its neighboring villages will be burned to the ground. Then Israel will repossess the land seized by its captors, says the Lord. Weep, you people of Heshbon; Ai has been destroyed. Wail, you daughters of Rabbah; put on funeral clothing, cry your eyes out, run for shelter. Milcom will surely go into exile, together with his priests and ministers. (Jer 49:2-3 CEB)

Is the arrogance that comes with wealth a deceptive delusion of safety?

You rebellious Ammonites trust your wealth and ask, “Who could attack us?” But I warn you not to boast when your strength is fading. I, the Lord All-Powerful, will send neighboring nations to strike you with terror. You will be scattered, with no one to care for your refugees. Yet someday, I will bring your people back home. I, the Lord, have spoken. (Jer 49:4-6 CEV)

Against Edom

What does God have to say about Edom, south of the Dead Sea?

Concerning Edom. Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Is wisdom no more in Teman? Has counsel perished from the prudent? Has their wisdom vanished? Flee, turn back, dwell in the depths, O inhabitants of Dedan! For I will bring the calamity of Esau upon him, the time when I punish him. If grape gatherers came to you, would they not leave gleanings? If thieves came by night, would they not destroy only enough for themselves?

But I have stripped Esau bare; I have uncovered his hiding places, and he is not able to conceal himself. His children are destroyed, and his brothers, and his neighbors; and he is no more. Leave your fatherless children; I will keep them alive; and let your widows trust in me.” (Jer 48:7-11 ESV)

Would the capital city of Edom be punished and desolate?

“For this is what the Lord says: If those who do not deserve to drink the cup must drink it, can you possibly remain unpunished? You will not remain unpunished, for you must drink it too. For by Myself I have sworn”— this is the Lord’s declaration —“Bozrah will become a desolation, a disgrace, a ruin, and a curse, and all her cities will become ruins forever.” (Jer 49:12-13 HCSB)

Was Edom, a nation of terror, to become the least of nations?

I’ve heard a message from the Lord, and a messenger has been sent among the nations: “Gather together and come up against her, and rise up to fight. Indeed, I’ll make you the least of the nations, despised among men. The terror you cause and the pride of your heart have deceived you. You who live in hidden places in the rocks, who hold on to the heights of the hill, although you make your nest high like the eagle, I’ll bring you down from there,” declares the Lord. (Jer 49:14-16 ISV)

Were Sodom and Gomorrah, once in this region, a warning?

Also Edom shall be a desolation: every one that goeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss at all the plagues thereof. As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbour cities thereof, saith the Lord, no man shall abide there, neither shall a son of man dwell in it. Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the swelling of Jordan against the habitation of the strong: but I will suddenly make him run away from her: and who is a chosen man, that I may appoint over her? for who is like me? and who will appoint me the time? and who is that shepherd that will stand before me? (Jer 49:17-19 KJV)

Did Teman, the grandson of Esau, give his name to a region in Edom?

Therefore hear the counsel of Yahweh which He has counseled against Edom, and His purposes which He has purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely they will drag them off, even the little ones of the flock; surely He will make their pasture desolate because of them. The earth has quaked at the noise of their downfall. There is an outcry! The noise of it has been heard at the Red Sea. Behold, He will mount up and swoop like an eagle and spread out His wings against Bozrah; and the hearts of the mighty men of Edom in that day will be like the heart of a woman in labor. (Jer 49:20-22 LSB)

Against Damascus

Is much of this prophecy against Syrian cities yet to be fulfilled?

Concerning Damascus: “Hamath and Arpad are put to shame, For they have heard bad news; They despair. There is anxiety at the sea, It cannot be calmed. Damascus has become helpless; She has turned away to flee, And panic has gripped her; Distress and labor pains have seized her Like a woman in childbirth. How the city of praise has not been deserted, The town of My joy! Therefore, her young men will fall in her streets, And all the men of war will perish on that day,” declares the Lord of armies. “I will set fire to the wall of Damascus, And it will devour the fortified palace of Ben-hadad.” (Jer 49:23-27 NASB)

Against Kedar and Hazor

Are Kedar and Hazor, allied nomadic and semi-nomadic clans of Arabia, descended from Ishmael, also warned of a Babylonian invasion?

Concerning Kedar and the kingdoms of Hazor, which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon attacked: This is what the Lord says: “Arise, and attack Kedar and destroy the people of the East. Their tents and their flocks will be taken; their shelters will be carried off with all their goods and camels. People will shout to them, ‘Terror on every side!’ “Flee quickly away! Stay in deep caves, you who live in Hazor,” declares the Lord. “Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon has plotted against you; he has devised a plan against you. (Jer 49:28-30 NIV)

Would that Babylonian invasion be for them total devastation?

“Arise, go up to the wealthy nation that dwells securely,” says the Lord, “Which has neither gates nor bars, Dwelling alone. Their camels shall be for booty, And the multitude of their cattle for plunder. I will scatter to all winds those in the farthest corners, And I will bring their calamity from all its sides,” says the Lord. “Hazor shall be a dwelling for jackals, a desolation forever; No one shall reside there, Nor son of man dwell in it.” (Jer 49:31-33 NKJV)

Against Elam

What did God say to Elam, between Iraq and Iran on the northern shore of the Persian Gulf? Though He disciplined them severely, did God promise later restoration?

This message concerning Elam came to the prophet Jeremiah from the Lord at the beginning of the reign of King Zedekiah of Judah. This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: “I will destroy the archers of Elam—the best of their forces. I will bring enemies from all directions, and I will scatter the people of Elam to the four winds. They will be exiled to countries around the world.

I myself will go with Elam’s enemies to shatter it. In my fierce anger, I will bring great disaster upon the people of Elam,” says the Lord. “Their enemies will chase them with the sword until I have destroyed them completely. I will set my throne in Elam,” says the Lord, “and I will destroy its king and officials. But I will restore the fortunes of Elam in days to come. I, the Lord, have spoken!” (Jer 49:34-39 NLT)

Were representatives of these nations present at Pentecost?

How do we hear, everyone in our own native language? Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the parts of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes (Acts 2:8-10 WEB)

What judgments did Jeremiah predict for surrounding nations, and what would God say about our modern nations? You decide!