Empty Idolatry (Isaiah 46)

What is the difference between powerless idols and the all-powerful God? What idols does our culture worship? Let’s look at Isaiah 46.

Could the Babylonian idols Bel and Nebo protect Israel from going into captivity?

Bel boweth down, Nebo stoopeth, their idols were upon the beasts, and upon the cattle: your carriages were heavy loaden; they are a burden to the weary beast. They stoop, they bow down together; they could not deliver the burden, but themselves are gone into captivity. (Isa 46:1-2 KJV)

Did idols or God carry Israel from birth into old age and promise to rescue them?

Hear Me, O house of Jacob, And all the remnant of the house of Israel, You who have been burdening Me from birth And have been carried from the womb; Even to your old age I will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you, and I will rescue you. (Isa 46:3-4 LSB)

Did Isaiah expose the futility of worshiping idols? Can an idol answer shouts and save anyone from distress?

To whom would you liken Me And make Me equal, and compare Me, That we would be alike? Those who lavish gold from the bag And weigh silver on the scale, Hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; They bow down, indeed they worship it. They lift it on the shoulder, carry it, And set it in its place, and it stands there. It does not move from its place. Though one may shout to it, it cannot answer; It cannot save him from his distress. (Isa 46:5-7 NASB)

Who alone makes known the end from the beginning? Who summons Cyrus, a bird of prey from the east, to fulfill His purpose?

Remember this, keep it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do. (Isa 46:8-11 NIV)

Is God’s righteousness near and will His salvation linger or be delayed?

Listen to Me, you stubborn-hearted, Who are far from righteousness: I bring My righteousness near, it shall not be far off; My salvation shall not linger. And I will place salvation in Zion, For Israel My glory. (Isa 46:12-13 NKJV)

Did Paul criticize the fake manufactured gods of the world?

Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles. (Rom 1:21–23 NLT)

What is the difference between powerless idols and the all-powerful God? What idols does our culture worship? You decide!