Human Solutions (Isaiah 50)

Do human solutions naturally cause us grief? Should we trust God? Let’s look at Isaiah 50.

Has God divorced Israel or has she sold herself into her own iniquities? Why did nobody answer when God called?

Thus says the Lord: “Where is the certificate of your mother’s divorce, Whom I have put away? Or which of My creditors is it to whom I have sold you? For your iniquities you have sold yourselves, And for your transgressions your mother has been put away. Why, when I came, was there no man? Why, when I called, was there none to answer? Is My hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? Indeed with My rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness; Their fish stink because there is no water, And die of thirst. I clothe the heavens with blackness, And I make sackcloth their covering.” (Isa 50:1-3 NKJV)

Is this a prophecy of Jesus, who submitted to suffering because of His love for us?

The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will. The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard. I did not hide my face from mockery and spitting. (Isa 50:4-6 NLT)

Do we have confidence in God’s help, setting our face hard “like flint” towards God alone, as did Jesus?

For the Lord Yahweh will help me. Therefore I have not been confounded. Therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I won’t be disappointed. He who justifies me is near. Who will bring charges against me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me. Behold, the Lord Yahweh will help me! Who is he who will condemn me? Behold, they will all grow old like a garment. The moths will eat them up. (Isa 50:7-9 WEB)

Does the Servant bid us to trust in the Lord as He does? Will those who choose human solutions, to light their own fires instead of trusting God, naturally suffer grief?

Who among you fears the Lord? Who listens to the voice of his servant, who walks in darkness and has no light? They will trust in the Lord’s name, and rely upon their God. Look! All of you are kindling fire, igniting torches. Walk by the light of your fire, by the torches you have ignited. This is what will happen to you by my hand: you will lie down in grief. (Isa 50:10-11 CEB)

Do we keep our eyes on human solutions to humanity’s problems or Jesus?

We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who leads us and makes our faith complete. He endured the shame of being nailed to a cross, because he knew later on he would be glad he did. Now he is seated at the right side of God's throne! (Heb 12:2 CEV)

Do human solutions naturally cause us grief? Should we trust God? You decide!