I Dream of a Church (26)

 Religion

The word religion is misused in popular Christianity. People forget that James encourages religion.

“Religion that pleases God the Father must be pure and spotless. You must help needy orphans and widows and not let this world make you evil.” (James 1:27 CEV)

I dream of a church that does not avoid religion, but practices pure religion.

The Poor

Dishonoring the poor is still common practice in our world. Yet, we Christians are to be different.

“God has given a lot of faith to the poor people in this world. He has also promised them a share in his kingdom that he will give to everyone who loves him.” (James 2:5b CEV)

I dream of a church that honors the poor as equals.

Living Faith

Many Christians seem to have a dead faith and some evangelists encourage an “easy believism” without repentance. Yet, faith that saves has fruits.

“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” (James 2:14-18 ESV)

I dream of a church with a living faith, seen in its good works.

The Flapping Tongue

Many churches have been ruined by gossip.

“Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity” (James 3:5-6a KJV)

I dream of a church where people can hold their tongues and keep gossip under control.

Overcoming Evil

People often wonder about how to overcome the devil. It’s not complicated.

“Submit therefore to God. But resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7 NASB)

I dream of a church that submits to God and resists the devil.

Anointing

How often do modern Christians practice anointing the sick? In some churches it’s just not known.

“Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.” (James 5:14 NIV)

I dream of a church where there is faith to anoint the sick.