God Alone (Isaiah 45)

Who is able to save us, things made by the hands of men or God alone? Let’s look at Isaiah 45.

What did God say prophetically to the future Cyrus, Persian king, who would come along about 150 years later? Was he to be a foretype of the Messiah, the anointed one?

Thus says the LORD to His anointed, To Cyrus, whose right hand I have held—To subdue nations before him And loose the armor of kings, To open before him the double doors, So that the gates will not be shut: ‘I will go before you And make the crooked places straight; I will break in pieces the gates of bronze And cut the bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness And hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the LORD, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel. (Isa 45:1-3 NKJV)

Why did God call a man who did not yet even know Him?

And why have I called you for this work? Why did I call you by name when you did not know me? It is for the sake of Jacob my servant, Israel my chosen one. I am the Lord; there is no other God. I have equipped you for battle, though you don’t even know me, so all the world from east to west will know there is no other God. I am the Lord, and there is no other. I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the Lord, am the one who does these things. (Isa 45:4-7 NLT)

Can God command the heavens to give either physical or spiritual rain?

Rain, you heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness. Let the earth open, that it may produce salvation, and let it cause righteousness to spring up with it. I, Yahweh, have created it. (Isa 45:8 WEB)

Is us questioning God as foolish as clay questioning the potter? Can God rebuild Jerusalem by a Persian king?

Doom to the one who argues with the potter, as if he were just another clay pot! Does the clay say to the potter, “What are you making?” or “Your work has no handles”? Doom to one who says to a father, “What have you fathered?” and to a woman, “With what are you in labor?” The Lord, the holy one of Israel and its maker, says: Are you questioning me about my own children? Are you telling me what to do with the work of my hands? I myself made the earth, and created humans upon it. My own hands stretched out the heavens. I commanded all their forces. I have a right to awaken Cyrus; I will smooth all his paths. He will build my city and set my exiles free, not for a price and not for a bribe, says the Lord of heavenly forces. (Isa 45:9-13 CEB)

Would Israel one day lead the nations to the one true God?

My people, I, the Lord, promise that the riches of Egypt and the treasures of Ethiopia will belong to you. You will force into slavery those tall people of Seba. They will bow down and say, “The only true God is with you; there are no other gods.” People of Israel, your God is a mystery, though he alone can save. Anyone who makes idols will be confused and terribly disgraced. But Israel, I, the Lord, will always keep you safe and free from shame. (Isa 45:14-17 CEV)

Is God the one true God and is idolatry the worship of things that cannot save us?

For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): “I am the Lord, and there is no other. I did not speak in secret, in a land of darkness; I did not say to the offspring of Jacob, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I the Lord speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, you survivors of the nations! They have no knowledge who carry about their wooden idols, and keep on praying to a god that cannot save. Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me. (Isa 45:18-21 ESV)

Where should we turn to be saved? In whom alone can we be justified and find glory?

Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth. For I am God, and there is no other. By Myself I have sworn; Truth has gone from My mouth, a word that will not be revoked: Every knee will bow to Me, every tongue will swear allegiance. It will be said to Me: Righteousness and strength is only in the Lord.” All who are enraged against Him will come to Him and be put to shame. All the descendants of Israel will be justified and find glory through the Lord. (Isa 45:22-25 HCSB)

How is the lesson of the potter and the clay discussed by Paul?

On the contrary, who are you—mere man that you are—to talk back to God? Can an object that was molded say to the one who molded it, “Why did you make me like this?” A potter has the right to do what he wants to with his clay, doesn’t he? He can make something for a special occasion or something for ordinary use from the same lump of clay. (Rom 9:20-21 ISV)

Who is able to save us, things made by the hands of men or God alone? You decide!